Re: Just Curious... Why not an Obj-C runtime in the Dot NET or Dot GNU C

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Just Curious... Why not an Obj-C runtime in the Dot NET or Dot GNU Common Language Runtimes?
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:17:17 +0100

On Feb 24, 2005, at 12:45, Quentin Mathé wrote:
… but .Net CLR supports Smalltalk. Do you think it doesn't support the whole Smalltalk features set ?

I don't know the .NET Smalltalk (do you have a pointer?), but of course you can build another runtime _on top_ of the CLR object runtime. In this case you loose all the interoperability features though. The point of CLR is that you can reuse a class written in C# in VB and C++ (and other "true" CLR languages) without any wrapping.

Two major things are missing in CLR:
- the ability to patch existing classes (categories)
- the "hook" to catch unimplemented methods (-forward::)
Posing of course also doesn't work. The worst problem for me is actually the missing categories. I have some ideas on how that could be worked around (by on-the-fly generation of new classes), but all that is quite hackish and wouldn't fit perfectly well into the CLR object system.

For Mono CLR, the things are a bit different, because it is still lacking support for dynamic languages like Python etc. (Smalltalk, Objective-C are dynamic languages too, then no luck currently).

Could you elaborate? What exactly is missing in Mono from an CLR point of view?

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/