Re: File browser for desktop environment (Was Re: Look and Feel)

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Re: File browser for desktop environment (Was Re: Look and Feel)
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:09:51 +0100

On 2005-02-19 18:51:49 +0000 Banlu Kemiyatorn <object@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:09:23 +0200, Enrico Sersale <enrico@dtedu.net> wrote:
>
>> And I, bored of tons of words about (unexisting) desktops and very tired
>> for years of work on a (existing) application, give up.
>> GWorkspace is looking for a new maintainer.
>>
>> Enrico
>
> I'm truely sorry for being a part of your decision by spreading
> tons of words about unexisting desktops but I hope you will
> change your mind later.
>
> BTW, I think Etoile could be a better place for a file browser.
> Since this could involve the whole implementation of VFS and
> to make use of IconKit? If I remembered thing correctly, was
> Quentin trying to sit on gnome-vfs once? How about replacing
> all namespaces with URI? Am I on the wrong list? :)

No, you're not, but I'm sorry to say (and don't take this as an offense) that
your answer really adds to what Enrico said. This is, or so I plan, the only
mail that I will send regarding this issue, but I must confess that I saw this
coming for a while now, as some people that were in #gnustep in the last days
will surely remember.

I'm glad that you're so excited about Ètoile (portuguese keyboards allow the
correct spelling :) ). I'm also excited about it. The people involved are great
developers. This, however, is only indirectly related to GWorkspace. It is
certainly frustrating as hell to develop an application for years, receiving
little comments on it and then be presented with some kind of planned "paradigm
shift" and be constantly bombarded not by wishlist items, criticism or bug
reports, but with permanent talk about a "good alternative".

I'm not even discussing the techinal merits of this approach. Some will no
doubt find, and with good reason, that it all should boil down to that. The
general feeling that transpires in the recent (and not so recent) email to the
list is however hard to suffer for the one that develops and maintain
GWorkspace.

Best regards,

fsmunoz
--