Re: Look and Feel

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:16:42 +0100

On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 20:09 +0200, Enrico Sersale wrote:
> On 2005-02-19 19:05:16 +0200 Jesse Ross <jesse@jesseross.com> wrote:
>
> >> We (gs community) should vote to agree on making
> >> Etoile a default gnustep desktop env for the gnustep community (ie. not
> >> a default desktop for gnustep itself since gnustep is a toolkit)
> >
> > I, for one, vote yes to Etoile as the default desktop environment of the
> > GNUstep community.
> >
> > J.
>
> And I, bored of tons of words about (unexisting) desktops and very tired for
> years of work on a (existing) application, give up.
> GWorkspace is looking for a new maintainer.

Please, do not give up. If you are unable to maintain the application,
provide a documentation to it, so others can continue in your great
work. The documentation does not have to be detailed, perhaps an index
would be sufficient (feature -> related files/classes/methods). And, as
i have mentioned you privately, provide few diagrams, as the application
is too complex to be learnt from brief look at the source code.

Send it to the list, put it on the wiki ... make it available by any
means. Only you know the application the best and noone sees to your
mind, what are and what were your intentions. If you make your
thought-flow about GWorkspace public, anyone can catch up and continue
in development. Well ... at least, it would be much easier to continue
in the flow than to start from scratch.

Even if no one will continue to work on GWorkspace, I bet that there is
some reusable code for other workspace managers to use. And that is a
place where (your) GWorkspace can continue to exist - even split into
pieces. Isn't that one of points of the GPL?

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi