Re: Look and Feel

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 12:27:45 -0600

And I, bored of tons of words about (unexisting) desktops and very tired for years of work on a (existing) application, give up.
GWorkspace is looking for a new maintainer.

GWorkspace is awesome -- and your efforts aren't in vain! Already your hard work is being paid off on the LiveCD, which does exist and has pulled people like me into the mix.

I think a bunch of people on the list is just trying to get a clear focus on the thing that we are building and contributing to -- there are many who want to see GNUstep given a proper home in a desktop environment. Applications (especially yours) are an essential part of that.

A lot of people have basically said, "why don't we stop talking theoretically and start building applications?" I spend my time talking on this list because I can't really build applications -- I can and am working on icons and themes, and I try to contribute to the community by coming up with application ideas, or usability ideas, or ways to guide and direct a desktop environment.

I would like to see something we can package up, give to people on the street (or wherever) and have them be completely wowed. If it's agreeing to make the LiveCD (something that does currently exist and has some market penetration, and the GNUstep name behind it) the main distro, fine -- I really want us to be unified in our endeavors. Maybe that's being too optimistic, but I think that we're a small enough community that it really is doable.

I can understand how you're getting discouraged by all this. I'm really sorry and hope you'll reconsider leaving the project.

J.