Re: Look and Feel

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:58:47 +0000

On 2005-02-19 01:20:13 -0500 Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

The conservative camp:
The NeXT style interface is one of the best looking ones ever produced, it looks fresh and distinctive, but could be tweaked/modified as there is always room for improvement... if someone can produce an even better theme, let's use it.

Well, I'd describe it more as "do whatever you want so long as it isn't in core."

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd happily see a good theme engine contributed to the core distribution.

Indeed, I believe it makes sense to have a degree of theme support built in to the standard gui classes rather than requiring a theme engine to be entirely separate ... but extremely clean/clear/simple/maintainable code is essential there, as keeping the gui reliable/bugfree/fast/compatible is high priority.

That being said, if I was writing a theme engine, I'd do it entirely separately to start with ... and only when it was stable would I start to gradually merge features into the gui code where it helps performance and avoids code duplication. The -poseAs: feature of ObjC is great here.