Re: GNUstep live CD featured in slashdot

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: GNUstep live CD featured in slashdot
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:35:42 +0100

Le 8 févr. 05, à 11:39, Uli Kusterer a écrit :

In article <mailman.1274.1107844065.2841.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Randi Joseph <randi@codehalo.com> wrote:

I am working on  a "system preferences" type system similar to that on
mac os x.
I work primarily on a FreeBSD system, but it should not be to difficult
to do the rework for any *nix

I will mininize talking until i have something to show....

Stop. Now. :-)

There's Preferences.app already. Then I wrote GSSystemPreferences.app a
while ago (which is supposed to be compatible with MacOS X's .prefPane,
but should also accept Preferences.app-style .prefsModule bundles). And
I think Quentin Mathe has also worked on something similar.

It might be more effective to look at the existing ones and add your
ideas to one of those.

Well I missed this mail, but I have written a PreferencesKit framework to build such Preferences like panels (for specific system Preferences applications or usual applications)… This PreferencesKit supports both Cocoa PreferencePane (thanks to Uli) and Backbone Preference modules. You can found the framework in Étoilé cvs (more http://www.gna.org/etoile), but I need to update the cvs with more recent PreferencesKit version on my computer which should work better. :-) My plan for Étoilé was to use GNOME system-tools-backends (http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/system-tools-backends) as the backend for Preferences applications, because it supports most of today OS and is used by both GNOME and KDE iirc. Would be nice to be able to share code, or may be you want to contribute more directly : the plan is have this Preferences applications compatible with basic GNUstep install (not dependent for Étoilé except few specific panels).

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr