Re: Look and Feel

From: Jesse Ross
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:58:30 -0600

I would appreciate it if you would define what you mean by "default theme". I
realize that this is confusing, but here goes:

1) GNUstep has a "built-in" or "native" look, one that doesn't require a theme
to be shown.
2) GNUstep also has a theme engine called Camaelon. Because it uses theme
bundles, it's capable of changing almost any aspect of the UI.

When you say "default theme" are you referring to #1 or a theme bundle written
for Camaelon, as described in #2?

I'm thinking of what a user first sees when they launch a GNUstep based environment, be it Backbone or Etoile, or Garma or the LiveCD or what-have-you. I realize that this is more the responsibility of the desktop than GNUstep, but I believe I've read correctly that many users and developers on the list would like to have some "theme" defined for GNUstep so that users can easily recognize the environment, and we can more easily market it. Currently, this "theme" is the NeXT-inspired one, even if it's not a theme proper. I would like to see that theme updated, and it doesn't matter much to me where it is implemented.

Using Camaelon seems like a fine way to do it, as long as all the desktop environments agree to utilize that method. If using Camaelon would slow the system or create extra overhead, than I would prefer it was made the "native" look. I realize that that probably won't happen, as many users seem to be satisfied with the current look, and changing the UI at that level would probably require much more work.

J.

Well discuss the other points in this email depending on the answer to the
above.

Thanks, GJC