Re: Look and Feel

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:28:34 +0800

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:51:33 +0100, Quentin Mathé
<gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Le 13 févr. 05, à 23:46, Fabien VALLON a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> > On 2005-02-13 19:57:54 +0100 Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, and no. We *want* a windows theme and a mac theme -- because
> >> GNUstep is cross-platform (ok, for the mac theme it's not as
> >> important, for obvious reasons  ;-) but a windows theme is something
> >> we want. Not for using it on Unix, of course..)
> >
> > What I want :
> > - better icons and a good NeXTish look ( the GNUstep default )
>
> Me too I would like that
>
> > What some users would want
> > - a cameleon engine that can use GNOME theme
> > - a cameleon engine that can use KDE theme
>
> May be KDE or GNOME users are interested by such possibilities but the
> steppers who dislikes the NeXT look don't want that in my opinion…
>
> > - a cameleon engine that can use Windows theme
>
> For GNUstep on Windows yes, but it should really be avoided otherwise
> in my opinion.
>
> > - an Aqua - clone ( ? )
>
> I don't think it would be really beneficial for us.
>
> What you are forgetting is other people like me ;-), who would like
> also a new theme probably very neutral (not really NeXTish) but with
> its own strong personality.

[snipped..]

There is no way the desktop look and feel alone is going to make
people switch from kde, gnome, windows and mac.

Its better to target first time users. Thats why we need a working
integrated GNUstep based OS asap.  Or else become all of the above.

--
Blood is thicker than water... and much tastier
                                           John Davidorff Pell