Re: Look and Feel

From: Randi Joseph
Subject: Re: Look and Feel
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:40:28 -0500

What I mean is that it would not matter to users who used a computer
for the first time. If they happened to use a next style ui for the
first time then that becomes their idea of what a ui should be. My
cousin whose first experience using a computer was with a mac, thinks
that the winxp ui is all wrong.

Its difficult to sell if you are trying to market to current computer
users. But if you sell to first time users then its not a problem. So
for me it all boils down to the sum of the whole. It must be
consistent.

I doubt that there are many first time users using oss OS's. For GNUSTEP to get traction, it should be focused on drawing windows, mac, gnome, and kde users.

Also, a developer is a user, but a user will not necessarily be a developer. It is important to find a good middle ground between what a developer think is right and what a user wants or needs. Remember there are more of them than us :-)

@ Jessie,

your mockup is very nice!

http://jesseross.com/clients/gnustep/ui/concepts/01/ui.png