Re: Live CD and others general GNUstep remarks

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Live CD and others general GNUstep remarks
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:44:15 +0000

On 9 Feb 2005, at 00:49, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

There also should be code added to NSWindow which prevents an app from
positioning a window outside of the existing screen and this is a modification,
if it's not already in NSWindow, I'll add it.

Not so simple ... some code will temporarily place a windows outside the screen to hide it, also you may well want it partially off screen ... so you need to be careful not to interfere with these odd cases. I think rather, we could do with some sort of hint system in gorm files which would reposition windows when the files are unarchived if necessary.
Perhaps this is what you meant though.

In case you need further proof.. to demonstrate the preceeding to yourself, start a project under MOSX Cocoa and use IB and set the position of the new app's window. Then build the app and watch that the window shows up exactly where it was positioned in IB. Additionally, if you go to the NSWindow size inspector in IB, you will see the width, height, x, and y information for the window in addition to the "Auto position" portion which I just described. So,
this is not a case of information being encoded "by accident". :)

Sounds like they took the right approach ... I don't think it involves an NSWindow change
though.

Another related problem (not specific to the live cd) is that apps save
their windows position in the defaults
database -- that's good, but there's a slight problem: If the user
change resolution to a lower one...
One solution, perhaps, would be to associate the positions with the
actual resolution -- so you'd save the positions
for each resolution...

Again, there should be code which reconciles the screen size with where the
windows are placed, as above. :)

The way this *should* work is for the gui (NSWindow) to save window positions in screen dependent defaults ... so when restoring a window the last location stored for
the screen size currently in use is the one used to position it.
I thought this was the way the gui did things already, but perhaps it's just that it has
been discussed before.