Re: Package releases at homepage (p.s.)

From: stefan
Subject: Re: Package releases at homepage (p.s.)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:54:17 +0100

Citát Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com>:

> On Jan 30, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:
>
> >> My suggestion is to put there references to packages:
> >
> >> GNUstep-core-x.x.x | Release Info
> >
> > This is a fantastic idea.  The core package can still keep
> > base,gui,back subdirectories, and the "compile-all" script
> > already there actually does installation too.  The INSTALL
> > file suggests installing things individually, but this is
> > probably not so relevant except for developers, and they
> > will presumably be using CVS checkout anyway.
> >

> Several problems.
>
> 1) The libraries are released on different schedules.
>
> 2) Compiling everything together works great IF everything goes well,
> but the huge variety of platforms means something goes wrong at some
> point. Then we get a bug report like:
>
> include file "AppKit/NSApplication.h" missing
>
> when the real error was probably installing a previous library.
>
> I think it would be much better to work on an installer package,
> similar to the Windows installer package, that would package together
> stable, tested, library and app releases.

P.S.: Even if the installation is not easy and does not work in every
environment, it is a small step further.

The build-all scripts works, at least on several machines. that is sufficent
reason for packing up the gnustep core in one package - it is more convenient
and less confusing. Later, when we get feedback from users about the build-all
scripts, THEN we know what should be done and how.

Note that neither of us can make it work on all platforms, as we do not know
what configurations are out there. However, we can learn the configurations
from the feedback of users.

Stefan Urbanek