Re: Package releases at homepage

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Package releases at homepage
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 09:06:51 -0800 (PST)

> My suggestion is to put there references to packages:

> GNUstep-core-x.x.x | Release Info

This is a fantastic idea.  The core package can still keep
base,gui,back subdirectories, and the "compile-all" script
already there actually does installation too.  The INSTALL
file suggests installing things individually, but this is
probably not so relevant except for developers, and they
will presumably be using CVS checkout anyway.

So all that needs to be done is rename the script to
somthing like "build-install", and improve it if needed to
make it more robust (I assume the current recommendation to
NOT use it in 'INSTALL' is there for a reason).

> GNUstep-development-apps-x.x.x | Release Info

Makes a lot of sense too.  Make a directory containing
both, and a simple script saying essentially
"cd PC ; make install ; cd ../Gorm ; make install".

Maybe the dev apps should just be bundled in with core, but
that would be a more radical change and perhaps make more
maintenance work for Adam or whoever is maintaining the
release packages.

The other question is whether a similar "user apps" bundle
should be made..