RE: New to GNUStep

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: RE: New to GNUStep
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:37:59 +0100 (MET)

> Hi, Michael, welcome!
> > One thing I would be particullarly interested in is to see
> > a webbrowser for GNUStep.
> Hm, why do we need a thing? What's wrong with Firefox? Its
> licence refers to open source... :)
[...]

I only speak for myself of course, and I know people think
differently -- but I'm a purist.

I "run" GNUstep for a reason -- because I do think it's superior
to other 'systems', GNOME and KDE in particular.

Therefor I do not want a 'mixed' environment, I want a setup that
is as free of dependencies as possible. If that means that I have
to wait for a particular application or tool, so be it.
But I do not want to install GNOME or KDE (or a couple of their
supporting parts) next to GNUstep, just because I want to run one
particular application, like FireFox or GiMP.

Note that I consider Qt or GTK parts of KDE, or GNOME respectively.

In other words:
I'd prefer a pure GNUstep'ish web browser, even if it's somewhat
inferior to other browsers.

Just one more reason to use and improve on it ;-)

--
Chris

--
+++ Sparen Sie mit GMX DSL +++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl
AKTION für Wechsler: DSL-Tarife ab 3,99 EUR/Monat + Startguthaben