GNUMail on Solaris

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: GNUMail on Solaris
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:00:51 +0100

Hi all,

I am trying to get GNUMail/Pantomime built on a Solaris 9 box. I know from earlier (failed) attempts that Solaris is a bit tricky. It does not find a bunch of symbols. In the meanwhile I got Pantomime compiled. Here is my current patch list.

        cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@Sophos.ca:/opt/cvsroot checkout Pantomime
        cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@Sophos.ca:/opt/cvsroot checkout GNUMail

        cd Pantomime

        pico ./Framework/Pantomime/io.c
        + #include <errno.h>

        pico ./Framework/Pantomime/CWLocalFolder+mbox.m
        + #include <errno.h>
        + #include <sys/types.h>
        + #include <sys/stat.h>
        + #include <fcntl.h>
        + #define LOCK_SH 1
        + #define LOCK_EX 2
        + #define LOCK_NB 4
        + #define LOCK_UN 8
+ int flock (int fd, int operation) { ... } // found this function somewhere on the net, it seems Solaris has none

        pico ./Framework/Pantomime/CWTCPConnection.m
        + #include <errno.h>

        export ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include -DBSD_COMP"
        make
        make install

This built Pantomime for me. Is all this necessary? I discovered the -DBSD_COMP thing very late during my attempts. My be a few of the additional includes aren't really needed. No idea! Now to GNUMail

        cd GNUMail
        export ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include"
        make

In file included from AccountEditorWindowController.m:47:
/opt/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers/Pantomime/CWTCPConnection.h:30:25: warning: openssl/ssl.h: No such file or directory
In file included from AccountEditorWindowController.m:47:
/opt/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers/Pantomime/CWTCPConnection.h:53: error: parse error before "SSL_CTX"
AccountEditorWindowController.m:429:2: warning: #warning FIXME
make[2]: *** [shared_obj/AccountEditorWindowController.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Account.all.bundle.variables] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/share/src/collaboration/GNUMail/Bundles/Account'
make: *** [internal-all] Error 2

The ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS thing worked for Pantomime. What's the problem with GNUMail now? And what can I do about the SSL_CTX error?

Has anybody ever collected a step-by-step-instruction list for building GNUmail on Solaris? I am using Solaris 9. Hints greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

  Andreas