Re: GNUstep and GWorkspace Compliation Problem

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep and GWorkspace Compliation Problem
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 06:48:19 -0800 (PST)

--- RJ Krawcuk <rjkrawch@optonline.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is the correct newsgroup, if not I am sorry.

You are in the correct place.

> I wish to learn programming for GNUstep and I have recently setup my
> computer for it (I hope). I have compiled and installed the latest sources
> rpms (make, base, gui and back). I am using WindowMaker (Latest version).
> Ran the GNUstep.sh environment setup. Ran the wmaker.inst file. I am able to
> start WindowMaker successfully.
>
> However, I am having the following problems:
> 1. How can I check to see if "GNUstep" is running correctly.
> 2. I have been trying to compile Gworkspace, but it fails when it tries to
> compile the finder, it exits with the following error: GWorkspace:
> /usr/bin/ld: can not find -IFSnode
> 3. I have compiled successfully, Gorm and ProjectCenter. However, I am
> unsuccessful when trying to launch them. I get the following errors:
>     A. Gorm: libGorm.so.0 - No such file
>     B.  ProjectCenter: lib>ProjectCenter.so.0 - No such file
>
> Now I realize some of these problems may due to lack of familiararity with
> the system, but I have looked over the web for the answers. And as far as
> GWorkspace is concerned, I have recomiled it a couple times, ensuring the
> correct command line parameters were passed to configure after rereading he
> documentation quite a few times. I have also recomiled everything using a
> make clean as well.

Gorm, GWorkspace and ProjectCenter require that you do a "make install" since
they all have libraries/frameworks which are required by and built along with
the application.   If you have done the install step, check your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and make sure it has /usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries as
one of the entries.

> I am using Redhat Linux Enterprise Server version 3.0.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
> Robert

As for Gorm, this is specifically mentioned in the INSTALL (perhaps rather
tersly, but specified nonetheless).

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.