Re: Funding GNUstep development

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: Funding GNUstep development
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 01:27:11 -0500

Stefanos Kiakas wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2004, Tim Bissell wrote:
>
> >As far as I recall Improv was written in a mixture of Pascal and
> >Objective-C, against a very early NS release; so its code will be in an
> >even worse state than Quantrix.  I've toyed with the idea of rewriting
> >Quantrix, but three young kids get in the way all the time.  At home I
> >use Flexisheet (www.materialarts.de) for my simple budgeting needs;
> >I've emailed the author about open-sourcing it, but have not had any
> >response ...
>
>          I have Improv and the documentation for the NeXT. I too have
> toyed with rewriting Improv. I have gone as far as setting up the
> menus etc... but I also have a small kid, and a small business to
> run. So I have put it aside for now.
>
>         I was hoping someone on the list might know someone at
> IBM who could open source Improv since porting would be much
> easier than starting from scratch.

No, it wouldn't be easier to port than start from scratch.

It would almost certainly be easier to start from first principles and a
manual than it would be to port the old code.

Not only is it a NeXTstep app, but it's a NeXT-hardware-only app...it
doesn't even work in color. It's also written in C++.

Ignore the code -- look at the program. Figure out, in as much detail as
possible, how it works -- and then do that. :)