Key Combo's and Menu's

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: Key Combo's and Menu's
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 03:09:52 -0500

After wrestling with X and xmodap, I finally was able to set my GS*Key
user defaults.  I'm on Apple hardware, atm, and I really wanted the
"pound key" as my GNUstep command key.  This now works.

However, I'm not able to figure out how GNUstep chooses which shortcut
gets triggered in a menu, and what modifiers + keys launch triggers.
For example, I was using Affiche as my test app, as I was monkeying
around with my settings, and both "Hide" and "Note->Format->Heavier"
display "h" as the shortcut, however, Heavier is the one that gets
triggered when Command-H is pressed.

Checking in on Gorm, and building a Menu, seems to only have a
"shortcut" entry box for menu items, and no selection for "shortcut
with modifiers" or something of the like.  This makes me think that
there's _no way_ to add a modifier to a Command-key sequence.

Considering all this, and perusing -gui source a bit,  there seems no
way currently for GNUstep to display modifiers before shortcuts in the
menus.

This may be a bit "apple-like" but not having this feature makes
keyboard control of apps _really_ confusing and _really_ difficult.

Has anyone been thinking about/hacking on this?  Maybe we could
display...
Modifier [ - Other_Modifier [ - Other_Other_Modifier ] ] - Shortcut
...in the menus?  (Of course with the defaults option to turn this
on/off for those who like/dislike it.)

Anyways, thoughts on this would be appreciated, 'cause if no one is
hacking on it, I'll be getting to it soon.

__Armando Di Cianno