Re: NSToolbar look/selecting items

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: NSToolbar look/selecting items
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:47:20 +0100

In article <mailman.6411.1099247981.2017.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Personally I dislike the scrollbar idea, because if you have lot of
> toolbar items in the toolbar, it becomes a nightmare to remember what
> is in the toolbar and especially where, and the scrollbar makes the
> toolbar items possibly moving targets.

 Yeah, it would ruin muscle memory...

> With the "chevron" you can have
> a global view of any toolbar items used and the toolbar items are
> fixed, but I agree it is not the perfect solution because the toolbar
> items flow vertically in the menu and horizontally in the toolbar, and
> that's somewhat not logical. I plan in the future to implement a
> toolbar which extends to the border of the screen when you click in the
> "chevron" to reveal all the toolbar items, a bit like a Mac OS X sheet.

 Kind of like a second toolbar in a "vertical popup menu"? Yeah, I could
see that working, though of course, just like a menu, it would have to
be moved back onscreen if it gets too long.

 Or maybe you could make the toolbar wrap? So the toolbar would maybe
switch to a special "half-size-mode" and show two rows of icons? Kind of
like the sidebar in OS X 10.3's Finder? Having the toolbar grow would be
kind of complicated, because window resizing is what causes the toolbar
to overflow, but making the icons smaller could work. Though I'm not
sure what we'd do with views in that case.

> Moreover I think we should avoid whenever it is possible to have
> toolbars totally filled.

 Yeah, that's the fix that application developers should strive for.

> Last point, the toolbar cannot be customised actually, it is still
> something which needs to be implemented when I will have the time to
> do.

 Well, with the NSToolbarView already available, I guess a good deal of
the work is already done. Though I don't envy you for making this use
drag and drop... Good luck!

Cheers,
-- Uli