Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: 29 Oct 2004 02:15:57 GMT

Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> This is because normally those bugs that people are noticing in the release
> have been fixed along with a number of others.   It's simpler to have someone
> update rather than guide them through the process of patching each and every
> individual problem.

Changing one thing at a time is an essential part of bugfixing. If one
changes too many things together, you can't tell what fixed the bug
and it teaches little.  Each "cvs update" run risks introducing new
problems as well as cures. If there are so many serious problems fixed
that there are too many patches, it may be time for another release,
or at least an RC patchfile.

This is part of why I find the "track CVS" response so unhelpful. It's
like telling a learner swimmer that they should go jump off a sea
ferry. It may work for some, but most will drown.