Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:17:51 +0200

Adrian Robert wrote:

On the Xlib back end, is there an obstacle to setting anti-aliased fonts on by default? I personally only noticed this capability after months, and don't imagine this is that unusual among general users. Ideally, anti-alias should default to ON, but the code should autodetect if libfreetype is absent in in this case fall back to non-antialiased.

It may be just me that prevented this :-)

Although I implemented the original AA support for xlib (now extended with great patches by Derek Zhou. BTW: There is still one I always forget to commit) I don't use it myself and this may have blocked it from becomming the default. To be honest, I don't liek AA fonts, most of the time they just look bad. But if you, and a few others, really want them as the default, I don't mind to switch them on, I know how to switch them off for myself anyway. One thing to keep in mind: Our autodetection code for libfreetype is at compile time not runtime.

Fred