Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:13:12 -0700

MJ Ray wrote:
Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:

Le 26 oct. 04, =E0 22:10, MJ Ray a =E9crit :

I'd rather not go through the pain of trying to configure backart's =20=
fonts.

er.. there is *nothing* to configure !
you just need to install the fonts, that's all.

That is not my experience. I managed to get it working on one system here,
but never the other. How to get it working seemed to depend on the version
of X, the version of freetype, the version of GNUstep-Back, which fonts
were installed and the phase of the moon. When it didn't work, it made
the system so unusable with a corrupted display that I had to quit out
to a text console. No useful errors in .xsession-errors most of the time.

I never saw a bugreport about any of this, so either (A) you're full of it or (B) you're lazy. Please file bugreports. If you're active on gnustep mailing lists you should really not feel that uncomfortable filing a bug on savannah.

This is not a personal attack, simply an observation. Do us all a favor and file a bugerport on this subject. It is literally as simple as Nicola describes, and if it is not, it is a BUG, and should be fixed. But we have to know about it before we can fix it, and that's where you should come in. Reproducing bugs is nearly impossible sometimes if you dont have the exact same environment.

Cheers,
Alex Perez