Re: gnustep, wo4.5.1 co-exist?

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: Re: gnustep, wo4.5.1 co-exist?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 21:30:59 +0200

David Ayers <d.ayers@inode.at> writes:

> Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:19:16AM +0200, d.ayers@inode.at wrote:
>>>
>>>Actually I believe you may even have some issues by merely having them on
>>>the same machine.  Would you be planing to compile GNUstep with gcc from
>>>WO or do you want to install a second gcc (or even a second cygwin)?
>>

>> If you use the windows installer of the GNUstep base.  (I know
>> it is MinGW instead of cygwin.)  There is no problem using
>> them next to each other.  If you use the mingw shell from the
>> GNUstep development menu it uses the right compiler etc.
>> For the rest you can just keep on using WO.
>> We do this all the time.
>
> This sounds really great!
>
> So 'defaults read NSGlobalDomain' will read the WO defaults in all
> shells except the except the mingw shell of the GNUstep development
> menu, where it will use the GNUstep version.  Does the shell also remove
> the PATH entries to the Apple paths, or should I simply avoid using
> tools that aren't replicated by GNUstep/mingw?

Ok, this is from the top of my head.  The mingw system that is installed
with GNUstep has defined its own "mount" points and path.
I think the mingw shell does not even see the DOS path.  But if it does,
its own files are searched first.

The "defaults" program of course will follow the same logic, and if I
remember correctly the GNUstep tools are also searched first in the mingw
shell.  But I hardly ever use them directly, so I can be wrong here.

Wim Oudshoorn.