Re: Re;: NSXMLParser on GS (was Re: Books / GNUStep / XML)

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: Re;: NSXMLParser on GS (was Re: Books / GNUStep / XML)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 12:50:30 +0200

On Oct 18, 2004, at 23:42, Marcus Müller wrote:
Last time I checked Apple's implementation (around 6 months ago) namespace support was broken,
Anyhow the general API of NSXMLParser isn't bad at all and a working GS implementation in base would be desirable IMO.

Incorrect ;-)

AFAIK the namespace support is just fine according to the API. The issue is that the _API_ doesn't (explicitly) support namespaced attributes, well, at least it doesn't document how this is supposed to work.
---snip---
- (void)parser:(NSXMLParser *)parser didStartElement:(NSString *)elementName namespaceURI:(NSString *)namespaceURI qualifiedName:(NSString *)qualifiedName
 attributes:(NSDictionary *)attributeDict
---snap---
As you can see attributes are passed in as a NSDictionary. I assume (and this is how it is implemented in Cocoa) that the key of the dict is the attribute name and the value the attribute value. Yet with "namespace names" have name/uri/qname and this (important) information is lost.

There are various options for making this work with the current API ("{nsuri}value" keys or array keys or special object key), but until Apple shows us the way, we can't have interoperability (and therefore cannot use NSXMLParser for XML documents with namespaces [= most XML stuff today]).

BTW: in SAX there is a special object for that issue, SaxAttributes:
http://svn.opengroupware.org/viewcvs/trunk/sope-xml/SaxObjC/ SaxAttributes.h?rev=33&root=SOPE&view=auto

Greets,
  Helge
--