Re: NSControl question

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: NSControl question
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:04:29 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
Alexander Malmberg wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:
[snip]
We could be a bit more selective on the editing status of the cell, that
is, only call abortEditing when this cell is the one being edited.

I don't really see what you're getting at here. Note that -abortEditing does nothing if called on a view that isn't being edited.

This is because you only look at the implementation of NSControl for this method. In a control subclass with multiple cells we may set the value of a non-edited cell

But -set*Value: on the control doesn't make all that much sense if the control has several cells. :) The only class for which it would work is NSMatrix (only multi-cell class that overrides -selectedCell; NSBrowser doesn't count, it doesn't handle cells directly, so it never has a field editor), and in NSMatrix, the selected cell is always assumed to be the cell that's being edited, if any (consider the first few lines of [NSMatrix -dealloc]).

> and in this case I think that we should not
> interfere with an ongoing editing at all.

Agreed, but this is already the case. It's certainly something to keep in mind when working on these classes, though.

- Alexander Malmberg