Re: using dmg files (fwd)

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: using dmg files (fwd)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:51:44 +0200

Am 24.09.2004 um 10:30 schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald:

On 24 Sep 2004, at 09:26, Alex Perez wrote:

Rogelio Serrano wrote:

I wonder why apple uses that format. Can we do something
similar like using iso or cramfs format instead? So we can loop mount the
image then drag and drop to the Apps directory or wherever?

we could but there's no point

Yes, I can't see what the advantage of using a disk image would be...

You can mount the image and run the app directly off the compressed "archive", without touching the disk. Mac OS allows to mount volumes (images, removable disks) as an average user: just double click the image. Very handy and very fast if you want to try out a package.

Very handy if you have to deal with self-modifying apps. Shadow-mount the image and there you go. All changes go into the shadow file while the distributed image its self isn't modified. This enables you to put such apps on read-only volumes.

Apple's .dmg format even allows to distribute a small image and when mounting the image, the system will automatically download the remaining part from the net. Many users don't like such "automatic" net access, however.

You could mount it and then copy the contents out of it, but I don't see
how that would be any better than having a .tar.gz file which you could
unarchive directly to where you want it.

A .tar.gz file requires you to fiddle with the command line. Something John Doe's grandma and even the average computer user isn't very savy on.