Re: Abiword/GNUStep ?

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: Abiword/GNUStep ?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:53:10 +0800

On 2004-09-22 15:45:29 +0800 stefan@wms-network.de wrote:

Hi,

Did anyone consider making GNUStep frontend to ABiword ? Since they
have
Cocoa
version under development, it should be doable - it would be a nice
addition
to GNUstep app collection and good testbed for libraries.

Yes, I've had discussions with Hubert on this specific issue, and the blocker at this point is ObjC++ support in GCC, which AbiCocoa requires. This will be in GCC 4.0, so whenever GCC 4.0 is out, work on the actual
porting can begin.

Until ObjC++ support is in GCC, it's a pipe dream.

Theoretically, a C "bridge" could be created for the classes in C++ and
those C
functions and structs could be used from ObjC, but it's more trouble than
it's
worth.
Have fun :-) I did this with WebCore and regualry end up with a (not only, but especially) debugging nightmare. Problem is that creating wrapper functions by hand is very error-prone. And it's boring :-) Now i'm sitting
here waiting for ObjC++.

Btw: i thought ObjC++ would be gcc 3.5?

greets
Stefan

GCC SC decided to use the number 4.0 instead of 3.5 because there will be a major user observable difference in behaviour due to tree-ssa.

--
Blood is thicker then water... And much tastier
                            John Davidorff Pell