Re: Text label mis-sizing / clipping

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Text label mis-sizing / clipping
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:17:47 -0400

One minor annoyance I've experienced on GNUstep so far is the fact
that text labels often cut off the text they contain.

I have noticed this myself in many apps and it is quite annoying.
Also hoping for an answer.

I noticed it in PRICE as well, which I write myself. The problem seems that anti-aliased stuff takes up too much space. Since I usually design on a system without it. Also some slight font size differences make it appear. Often I could solve it by giving in Gorm just 1-2 pixel more horizontally to the text box and so making it more flexible.

Still, I wonder why the problem only seems to affect some widgets. Does anyone ever encounter a problem with the "Box" widget? I've never seen a problem here, nor with a menu being too narrow. Drop-down selector widgets, despite being similar to menus, DO show the issue though.

I have no programming experience with AppKit, but here is a rough set of possible explanations, assuming that in every case the designer of the app is seeing properly-sized labels on their screen:

1) there is no system in place for application to specify a required font size and runtime to heed it (I doubt this but it is here for completeness)

2) application is not specifying the font size it requires in sufficient detail, or is specifying it incorrectly.. (for example, reality is that asking for "10pt" will get you something smaller in Times than in most other fonts, regardless of what "point" means historically)

3) application is specifying sufficiently and correctly but runtime system is supplying fonts violating the size request, without printing a warning; this could be due either to:

a) problems with the font information available to the runtime (system fonts are not catalogued / measured properly)

b) problems in the runtime itself (it is not correctly interpreting and comparing system font information with the font request, or it is not accessing the lower-level scaling APIs correctly)

c) simple lack of fonts on user system and/or inability to properly access scaling architecture, and not printing of a warning through oversight

None of these reasons really explains why the problem should be as widget-specific as it seems to be. Perhaps it is the case that some widgets, like Box and Menus, do auto-layout at runtime, whereas the others must or tend to be set to do static sizing? If this is the case, then some variants of 3a are eliminated, since clearly the correct font metrics are available at some level to gnustep.