Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)

From: oberhage
Subject: Re: Starting GNUstep (Debian)
Date: 14 Sep 2004 09:18:57 GMT

Graham J Lee <leeg@teaching.physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

Hello,

: Login.app provides a NeXT/Apple like loginwindow, and lets you do funky
: things like dropping to the console by entering "console", or halting
: by entering "halt" and the root password.  It doesn't do any real
: session management and just runs out of inittab as a login manager.  It
: doesn't do any of the more advanced things that [xkg]dm do.

have a look at 'wdm' (package available within Debian). I like it a lot,
it reminds me of Login.app, which I used to use with a previous Debian
Version (2.1, I think). With 'wdm' you can do thinks like 'restart' or
'halt' and with the configuration file you can determine who can do it (root
or every user) and how ((password) authenticised users (only) or everyone).
Login.app is in a maintainerless state at the time, if I'm not mistaken,
so it may become unusable at some later distribution (sarge or thereafter).

wdm doesn't have 'console', but pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 (or CTRL-ALT-Fn with
n being any value up to your 'X11'-console) should give you one anytime :-).
You can also 'exit' wdm from within it's login-window.

As you can probably see, I really like wdm as it is more lightweight than
kdm and gdm, and more capable than xdm with regards to shutting down etc;
and it really has much of the NeXT loginwindow look.

Greetings,
 Ruediger Oberhage
--
H.-R. Oberhage