Re: Shiira

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Shiira
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 15:26:16 -0400

On Sep 13, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Yen-Ju Chen wrote:

http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/index-e.html

Shiira is a web browser based on WebKit/Cocoa.
but it used NSDrawer, NSSearchField, etc.
After Objective-C++ support in GCC is released,
it can be a good target to port.

Wouldn't this require porting WebKit as well?! (Assuming that is open-sourced.. I know KHTML is, but not sure about WebKit.) An easier route to an HTML renderer, albeit an older one, might be getting the old OmniWeb frameworks to compile (ftp://ftp.omnigroup.com/pub/software/Archive/Source/OpenStep/ Frameworks/). I took a crack at this a while ago but ran into problems with the OmniBase package, which seems to make a number of OPENSTEP-specific demands on the runtime.. Maybe David Ayer's recent work will help with this?

The old OmniWeb framework might not be optimal for browsing today's web (indeed, it was barely adequate back in its day), but it might work well for embedded display panels for simple things like Help, GSdoc, etc..