Re: Do the guile test scripts work correctly for anyone ?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Do the guile test scripts work correctly for anyone ?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:44:53 +0100

The quick answer to the subject line is ... yes, they work on my apple laptop (ppc, macosx)
and my desktop machine (intel, debian).

On 1 Sep 2004, at 12:03, Pete French wrote:

I am trying to run the guile test suite in dev-apps/test/gtests to
be able to test the 64 bit patches I am making for amd64. But I am running up
against a little problem like this:

./gtest-base
2004-09-01 11:22:23.000 guile-base[46020] attempt to initialize character set with invalid bitmap 2004-09-01 11:22:23.000 guile-base[46020] attempt to initialize character set with invalid bitmap
gmake: *** [check] Segmentation fault (core dumped)

If I run it verbose then the last bit looks liek this:

PASS: CCString case sensitive literal comparison for "abcdefg" and "CDEF" is NSOrderedDescending PASS: UUString case sensitive literal comparison for "abcdefg" and "CDEF" is NSOrderedDescending PASS: UCString case sensitive literal comparison for "abcdefg" and "CDEF" is NSOrderedDescending PASS: CUString case sensitive literal comparison for "abcdefg" and "CDEF" is NSOrderedDescending
PASS: create strings for range with "hello" and "hello" is ok
gmake: *** [verbose] Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Now, at this point I would normally dig out gdb and enthesiasticly dig in
to try and find out what is going on. Except for the fact that the core
file produces causes my gdb to coredump too?! Not seen that before.

the error GDB gives is:

Reading symbols from /usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries/libgnustep- base.so.1...Deprecated bfd_read called at /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/gdb/../../../../contrib/gdb/gdb/ dwarf2read.c line 3049 in dwarf2_read_section
Error while reading shared library symbols:
Dwarf Error: Cannot handle DW_FORM_strp in DWARF reader.

I am running on FreeBSD 4.10 using gcc3.3.4 and gdb 4.18 (I cant compile any of
the more recent gdb's)

That's a shame.

Of course, the most likely problem is that there is bug in the 64-bit support in gstep-guile, gstep-base, or guile,
and it's additionally annoying that there is a bug in gdb too.
I'm afraid that, without gdb, you are pretty much reduced to adding instructions to print stuff at various places in the guile scripts ... (display "xxx\n") and/or the library source code ... NSLog(@"xxx");