Re: Font substitution (Was: System fonts)

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Font substitution (Was: System fonts)
Date: 29 Aug 2004 02:00:18 GMT

Alexander Malmberg <alexander@malmberg.org> wrote:
> Font sets, [...] The drawback is that, basically, you're lying to the
> upper layers about the fonts. As a consequence, font sets would really
> only work on-screen; it wouldn't be possible to print them [...]

At the moment, I use back-xlib because Fred wrote a helpful post some
months ago with instructions which gave me antialiasing and character
sets for many languages. I never convinced all that back-art nfont stuff
to work reliably. Printing doesn't work right, but it first broke a few
releases ago, when I was using back-art anyway. Unless some magic fix
is in CVS since the last release, I doubt it will get much more broken
for me.

Longer term, are we looking at using xprint for printing, or is that
impossible? To my naive view, it feels like we are still stuck at a fork
in the road: either to go wholeheartedly through X and its fonts for
everything, printing and all, pushing at things which look impossible;
or for GNUstep to do its own PostScript thing and just treat X as a
funny bitmap display. Or is there a third way planned?