Re: System fonts

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: System fonts
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:23:08 +0200

Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
<snip>

The main problem is not to implement it somehow, but to get it fast enough right from the start. If font substitution or even just the check, if it is needed take to much time, the whole GNUstep text system will be come unusable.

(1) Although some people allegedly believe that CJK fonts make system
   response significantly slow, I've never met anyone here in Japan who
   complains of it. In fact, they doesn't make anything noticeably slow.
   The first practical wordprocessing software for the Japanese language
   appeared about 15 to 20 years ago.  It's not an issue of the 21st
   century.

This was never the question. I did not write about fonts themselves or displaying them, but about font substitution. With this paragraph and the precvious mail you are fighting a straw man you build up yourself.

(2) True, font substitute makes the system a little bit slow.  But as a
   matter of fact, all other GUI toolkits/frameworks were somehow succeeded
in coming through this difficulty. Why doesn't this happen with GNUstep?

We need somebody to do it. I may be able to do a bit, Alexander perhaps another one (?). He did such a great job on the GNUstep text system, it would be horrible if we would get back to to old dates of a unusable slow text rendering.

(3) As for X11, unnecessary fonts won't be loaded automatically.  So dear
European users, you don't need to worry about that aweful oriental script;
   it won't get in the way of your life.

Again, whom are you telling this? I know that already.

Consequently, if font substitute actually makes something slow, it's a matter
of implementation, neither underlying systems nor h/w in use.  Other GUI
toolkits and framesworks prove it.

Excalty, if you read the cited paragraph again you may notice that it is actually trying to state something close to this.