Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Alex Perez
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:37:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, John Davidorff Pell wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2004, at 04:15, Nicola Pero wrote:
> >
> >> If people feel that the libs from Library/Libraries should live in
> >> /usr/lib... use GNOME or KDE ;)
> >
> > I don't agree with that.  If you want to write a server in ObjC using
> > GNUstep, but for constraints outside your control you have to have it
> > in
> > the standard unix hierarchy (we don't always control our customers or
> > our
> > managers), you want to be able to do it.  Why should I give up all the
> > good that it's in GNUstep just because I have a requirement to deploy
> > the
> > server in standard unix locations.  Also because as soon as the
> > constrains
> > go away I can just change a couple of ./configure switches in
> > gnustep-make
> > and have the same software install in the GNUstep filesystem hierarchy
> > without any change to my server.
>
> I can't see any real life situation where a programmer will be forced
> to use a particular hierarchal layout.

I can't tell you how hard I've tried to keep from saying this, but maybe
that's because you're being small-minded.

> If management is so bass ackwards that they require something like what
> you suggest, then they likely will not allow the use of GNUstep because
> it is not "standard" enough, not to mention that I don't get why
> someone would write /just/ a daemon using GNUstep and distribute the
> whole environment (or even mart of it) to support the daemon.

A lot of times people are contractors and have no say in the matter.
reality hits yet again. Just because YOU can't see a need for it does not
mean that the need does not exist. If people want to do stupid things wih
GNUstep, that is their concern, not yours. Live and let live. Surely you
have something more important to be concerned about.