Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: John Davidorff Pell
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:13:57 -0700

On 19 Aug 2004, at 07:22, discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org wrote:
Now, for GNUstep's sake, your argument is true. However as users/developers of GNUstep, who are on this mailing list, having this discussion, we are also inherently _evangelists_ of GNUstep. We need to "woo" people to GNUstep. We know it's easy to woo developers, once they grok the power of Obj-C + Foundation/AppKit, but pretend we need to woo project managers or (egad!) manager-manager types. The ability to say "This will fully integrate into our UNIX solution" is a HUGE selling point, and furthers the growth of GNUstep. But of course I see your point "JUST PUT IT IN /usr/GNUstep AND IT JUST WORKS!!", which makes sense to any of us. But to expend the energy to make things slightly more reconfigurable wrt to the underlying system is worth it, I believe. Consider it the cost of "woo". If the cost is simply too high, we should say "No", however, it sounds like it is not.

I disagree. I think the price is too high. Put it in /usr/GNUstep is "fully integrated." Breaking it into malformed chunks takes away from its ability to woo management, since the philosophy starts to die with it.

In fact, you can argue that it is better to put it in /usr/GNUstep since that is cleaner anyway, making sure that any perceived incompatibilities are solved before they begin, and while its in its own tree to begin with, there is no purpose whatsoever in breaking the better hierarchy.

/usr/GNUstep is just as integrated as /usr/X11R6.

JP