Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches

From: Armando Di Cianno
Subject: Re: GNUstep.sh / env sanity patches
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:11:50 -0400

On 2004-08-19 16:59:19 -0400 John Davidorff Pell <johnpell@mac.com> wrote:
:-/ The only people who want to be able to change the GNUstep installation directory after build is packagers who need to roll out an installation into a semi-arbitrary location. If the /user/ has to re-compile to install it in a different
location, then this defeats your whole argument.

... but if packagers need to do it, then the ability needs to be there still.

I'm still advocating the method of "env vars -> conf files -> hardcoded (including relative) paths" for all this. At any point, a more base level should be able to force override a previous level, but otherwise, things should work AOK.

(offhand suggestion: Also, maybe -make, -base, -gui, and -back should all use --prefix as an option ... easy enough way to get that "hardcoding" done, no?)

If the above general method is used, then you can have a fully hardcoded/relative system and things work fine. Or an admin could set something specific for everyone in some conf file (GNUsteprc). Or a user could change where their Defaults are written to with an env var.

"Or am I missing something?" ;-)

__armando

... I'm thinking this has already been a very productive discussion. Not just for what "everyone wants", but for doing it the least complex, but most flexible way.