Re: Document store support and search (RE: GNUstep Icons and look propos

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Document store support and search (RE: GNUstep Icons and look proposal)
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:01:52 -0400

From: Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr>
To: "Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 02:37:10 +0200

Le 18 août 04, à 23:22, Yen-Ju Chen a écrit :

 [snip]

 Search will come later because I need to reimplement the search GUI.
 If Étoilé has a proposal on the search GUI and MVC model,
 I would be very happy to adapt it and try to implement.

A MVC like model is planned, but if you have specific ideas on it, tell me about them… … otherwise system wide search UI will be loaded in any applications by default. If you need something specifically tailored for your application you will have to implement you own search UI, but you will be able to use the search/indexing engine provided by Étoilé precisely by the ExtendedWorkspaceKit. Last point I must say, I will not been able to provide a truly working implementation before October.

 I'm thinking something general, like NSTableView and it data source.
In the search view, each criterion is in the format of "subject verb object",
 like ' (File Size) (is greater than) (142243) '.
Data source provides the available "subjects" and user can choose them in a NSPopUpButton.
 The verb will change depending on the subjects type,
 which can be a NSString, NSNumber, NSDate, or other limited selection.
 User will input the object.
 All the criteria will be stored in the data source.
 Then the data source acts as a filter.
 Any application will supply a formated information to data source and
 this data source will return whether this information match the criteria.
 That's something I have in mind.

 Since Étoilé will have a search GUI and search engine,
 make them as some general classes will benefit other applications,
 like people subclass NSTableView instead of making a new one.

 Yen-Ju

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé