Re: app wrappers and gworkspace

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: app wrappers and gworkspace
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:27:05 -0400

I think everybody here will agree that, ultimately, there must be an easier / "automagical" way for the GNUstep workspace to access installed applications and their associated filetypes and actions. One of the things that really annoyes me about the app-wrapper idea is the filetype icons that need to be stored within every single application. I want to tell my workspace once what a xhtml file is supposed to look like, not multiple times just because I have more than one program installed that can / should deal with such files.

I can see how it might be annoying at times, but the other side of the coin is that having the file icons associated with the app as well as the file extension provides a useful UI feature -- you can tell what app will open the file by default if you double-click it. This can be good especially for things like images, XML files, and other types that can have multiple associations and you're not always sure what app is going to get it if you double-click it..