Re: app wrappers and gworkspace

From: Sascha Erni, .rb
Subject: Re: app wrappers and gworkspace
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 23:36:29 +0200

Hi there,

On 2004-08-05 23:21:59 +0200 Jonathan Shipley <jon@windj.ath.cx> wrote:
Why does gworkspace have to use app wrappers?  App wrappers are
virtually useless (sorry).  Firstly, they are no where near a
comprehensive collection, and include many programs which I don't use.
Secondly, the collection doesn't have most of the programs I actually
have on my system.  Am I the only to use Mozilla instead of Netscape?
Openoffice instead of Staroffice?  And finally, I am now fed up of
editing these scripts to get a half-decent set of defaults in
gworkspace. Surely every program installed should be easily accessible?
As it is -- it's as if most of my system isn't there as far as
gworkspace is concerned.

Raffael Herzog is working on a wrapper-aid program which should be released shortly as a public beta. I've been using various incarnations of the thing for some months, now, and it works just fine for me albeit with some stability issues that keep its release back.

Still, creating a comprehensive wrapper for, say, Gimp (with all filetypes associated) takes about 2 minutes, all via GUI and drag-and-drop.

Just as a short info; I don't want to barge in on Raffi's parade. Here's hoping he still receives the GNUstep mailing list (troubles with his mail server) and he'll reply. :D

93,
-Sascha.rb
--
Sascha Erni, .rb