Re: ANN: Generator in DevKit

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: ANN: Generator in DevKit
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:11:20 -0400

Hi,

I have put the ObjectiveC generator into the DevelopmentKit framework. It is slightly modified version and still it is a prototype. It reads attributes from instance variable comments.

This looks like an excellent start on a useful tool.

I am wondering whether you couldn't use the terms "exposed" and "hidden" in place of "public" and "private" for specifying getter/setter generation? This would prevent the confusion mentioned earlier, which is a real issue since 'public', 'private', etc. have very well-established meanings in Objective-C and other OO languages, while the question of whether to expose something using accessors is a separate one altogether (despite your point about the meanings being somewhat conflated in modern practice).

A second issue that raises its head is that the accessors created are in essence "private" since they are not in the header file and therefore unknown unless someone has the source. This is useful in certain contexts, but it might be nice to also have an option where you write the accessor declarations yourself in the header file but the generator then still generates the source. Even this is a big win since writing accessors can be tedious, especially if you want to do the proper retain/release rituals needed in the setter. (This should be another keyword option BTW...)

Also, it could generate stubs for any other methods that are declared in the header (like "implement interface" operations in Java IDEs and Emacs JDE).

Finally, it would be nice to be able to have an incremental update facility, if you later add instance variables (or take them away) from a class, to be able to update the generated code (but leave any manually added code untouched). I guess this starts to get tricky, but it would be useful.

This brings me to a larger question, which is do you and/or Serg Stoyan have any plans to (eventually) integrate the DevKit framework's capabilities into Project Center? I realize that (a) they are independent projects and (b) many people prefer to stick with a command line + emacs/vi operating mode in development -- but at the same time it is exactly the capabilities you are building in DevKit that often make IDEs a compelling proposition even when their editors can't hold a candle to emacs.

thanks,
Adrian