Re: Status of NSToolbar

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Status of NSToolbar
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:39:25 -0400

From: Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr>
To: "Yen-Ju Chen" <yjchenx@hotmail.com>
CC: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:22:10 +0200

Le 26 juil. 04, à 21:29, Yen-Ju Chen a écrit :

 [snip]

 And I try to add a view into toolbar item by -setView:
 and it never shows up.

Probably your view height is higher than what is permitted by the toolbar height.

 I will look at this problem later.
 But my custom view is pretty high actually,
 and changes the height dynamically.
 The normal toolbar is 32 pixel on Cocoa,
 but there is no real limitation.
 What's the limitation on GNUstep ?

This limitation exists with GNUstep because it makes the toolbar code a lot simpler. Normally pretty high custom view can/should be avoided because the toolbar is not here to embed complex custom view and moreover such custom view would make display size an option without real effect. In the future, I plan to remove this limitation but that's not a priority now.

 I know I shouldn't use that space for complex view,
 but I'm too lazy to write a similar one. :D
 The Cocoa documentation did mention that
 the height of toolbar will be the greatest -minSize of toolbar item.
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/Toolbars/Tasks/SettingTBItemSize.html

 Yen-Ju

Quentin.

--