Re: Widgets in the server (was: back-cairo and x11)

From: Rogelio M . Serrano Jr .
Subject: Re: Widgets in the server (was: back-cairo and x11)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:14:46 +0800

On 2004-07-22 06:39:48 +0800 "Vaisburd, Haim" <HVaisbur@Advent.COM> wrote:

 From: Rogelio M. Serrano Jr. <rogelio@smsglobal.net>

Im implementing a graphics server with an integrated window manager and i wonder if it is possible to put all the widgets in the server side and use DO for communication with the widgets and propagation of events.

This idea looks similar to Berlin/Fresco architecture
(http://wiki.fresco.org) to me.

After reading some papers from that site and some thinking
I got an impression that this is generally a wrong idea.
Although this might increase the speed
on remote connection, this reduces the flexibility of the system:
you would need to propagate your new cool widgets to every server.

So hard way of X seems right, "no policy" actually means "anything
can work remotely without my system modification".

What do you think?
Tima.

Maybe i could try both and compare. I could try DSO and downloadable PS like code for describing widgets. The protocol im using has the same semantics as x protocol and xrender but its not binary compatible.