Re: GNUstep binary installation

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: GNUstep binary installation
Date: 16 Jul 2004 01:32:19 GMT

Stefan Urbanek <stefan@agentfarms.net> wrote:
> 2. User downloads GNUstep binary package
> Note: User has a system without default package management or users does not
> use the package management, because he only knows how to use default system
> installation or has no permissions to install other software.

Does this situation really exist? We have source so that people can do
adaptations like shove GNUstep into $HOME or whatever else they want.

> 3. User installs GNUstep from a file manager (in KDE/Gnome/MS Windows) by
> launching a script or running an .exe file.
> Note: no configuration files editing should be required.

Maybe that builder script could help here. Can't remember its name.

> 4. User installs the Application either by extracting contents of the
> downloaded package to GNUstep specific directory OR user launches application
> installation script OR user runs GNUstep package installer to install it.

A GNUstep package installer should be possible, but probably would be
built atop some package manager backends.

[...]
> One analogy can be JRE and Java applications.

It's easier to install a working GNUstep than a working JRE already, IMO.