Re: MacOS/GNUstep DO compatibility

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: MacOS/GNUstep DO compatibility
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 19:10:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hey,

--- Björn_Giesler <giesler@ira.uka.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 14.07.2004 um 22:28 schrieb Michael Baehr:
> > I always thought a worthwhile way to accomplish this would be to
> > create a framework for both GNUstep and OS X that implemented message
> > proxying in XML.
>
> Right... XML would be a bit verbose though, no? The problem I see with
> that is that I think it's better to make one protocol compatible with
> the other, so that only one side has to adapt, instead of circumventing
> the problem by creating yet another protocol.

The problem is not only one of protocol, but one of structure.  How DO works is
based on two things:

1) How it encodes the objects sent as parameters.  This is tied to the
archiving   of GNUstep vs. that of MOSX.  They're fundamentally different for a
number of reasons.

2) How it encodes the signature of the selector in GNUstep vs. that of MOSX.

While #2 might not be difficult to fix, #1 is very difficult to fix because it
could effect how ALL objects are encoded in base and gui.

> Oh well. I'm almost at the point where I need something like that; I'll
> see what I'll use, and maybe something comes out of it that's useful
> for everybody.

Sounds cool.

> Regards,
> Björn

GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento -- CEO/President Open Logic Corp.
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.