inConfig (Was: Re: Configuring gnu-gnu-gnu on OSX 10.3.4)

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: inConfig (Was: Re: Configuring gnu-gnu-gnu on OSX 10.3.4)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 12:36:29 +0200

Just a dumb blond remark:

I have been trying to write cod (http://ocean.made-it.com/tools.html) such that it finds the headers needed... but this isn't the first time the header issue comes up, and GNUstep is not the only project facing this challenge, and cod is "just" a shell script.

Wouldn't it be more logical to create a ldconfig like tool that maintains a database of the include dirs? Just a config file let's say /etc/inc.config and a tool that you can ask to find e.g. ffi.h and return the entire path. Configure can then be made to use this tool. If you make it an FSF tool the changes of being used in autoconf is more likely.

Just some thinking on a sunny tuesday lunchbreak in the Netherlands.

Dennis