Re: GSString problem

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: GSString problem
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:22:52 +0200

Andreas Hoeschler wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> after upgrading to a recent version of GNUstep my app throws the
> following exception.
>
>         NSCharacterConversionException REASON: Can't get cStringLength from
> Unicode string

I've had other reports of c-string related conversions failing when they
didn't before, and I suspect that:

2004-02-17  Bruno Haible  <bruno@clisp.org>

        * Source/Additions/Unicode.m (GetDefEncoding): Use the result of
        nl_langinfo(CODESET) before falling back on ISO-8859-1.

is causing it by setting the c-string encoding to ASCII when it used to
be set to iso-8859-1. If so, setting the environment variable
GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING to NSISOLatin1StringEncoding should fix it.

Do we really ever want to set the c-string encoding to
NSASCIIStringEncoding instead of NSISOLatin1StringEncoding? (Especially
since parts of Unicode.m is pretending that ascii==iso-8859-1 anyway.)

- Alexander Malmberg