Re: GNUstep's NET_WM support

From: Andrew Ruder
Subject: Re: GNUstep's NET_WM support
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:39:50 -0500

It seems that a long time ago Alex Malmberg brought up the idea of having window manager/environment specific bundles to -gui. Perhaps that idea should be talked about some more. It seems like it would accomplish what you want to do here.

- Andrew Ruder

Hi there, I was recently looking into how to make GNUstep play nicer with GNOME and KDE's panels, which sit at the bottom of the screen. As it stands now, GNUstep draws its own miniwindows and appicons, which by default go into the lower left corner of the screen. This is problematic for most GNOME or KDE users. What I would like to see is, if the GNOME or KDE panel is running, GNUstep then would not draw its appicon at all, but would use EMWH/NET_WM hints to get an actual listing in the panel as it should be. I believe this would go a long way in convincing new adopters of GNUstep, most of whom, statisically, use either KDE or GNOME, to come aboard. I was told recently by someone in #freedesktop that GNUstep only needs to implement a few EMWH/NET_WM hints for this to happen. Obviously also there needs to be a mechanism for GNUstep to automagically disable the drawing of its own appicons/miniwindows as well.

What do you think about this and how feasable do you think it is? Do you think it's a good idea? I really think this would help improve the image of GNUstep.

On another somewhat related note, the wm-spec page at http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/wm-spec contains a table with links to various window managers COMPLIANCE files, listing the level of NET_WM support. We should probably have one of these in back/Documentation and then once that's in place we should definately email the folks at Freedesktop.org and have them add it to their list.

Also, I was talking with Alexander Malmberg, and he thinks that if GNUstep had the _NET_MOVERESIZE_WINDOW hint implemented, the chronic and debilitation window drifting which Mr. Weinstein is experiencing would go away. I know others also experience this drifting, but I am not one of them. Mr. Weinstein is using Apple's X.app, which is a port of XFree86 which uses an Apple window manager which is likely NET_WM compliant. Their window manager uses the native WindowServer to draw native decoration windows for X applications, making them feel a little bit more mac-like.

Cheers,
Alex Perez