Re: window migrations

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: window migrations
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 00:38:09 +0200

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> We need to find a better general solution and perhaps somebody
> has a simpler idea than to change the whole frontend/backend
> communication on style offset.

I looked into this when working on the window decoration changes, and
there is a nicer way (ICCCM has a way of getting us what we want by
setting window gravity just right), but it doesn't work. None if the
window managers I tested handled it correctly.

Alex Perez wrote:
> both GNOME and KDE, as well as a number of WindowManagers, all use NET_WM
> now. GNUstep does not support it, AFAIK. Is this correct?

Not quite. NET_WM could also give us what we want, but none of the
window managers I looked at while investigating this supported that part
of NET_WM.

- Alexander Malmberg