Installer.app feedback

From: Frederico Muñoz
Subject: Installer.app feedback
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:05:12 +0100

Hello,

I have began to write an installer application (hereafter Installer or
Installer.app). I have some ideas but I need some feedback on some things.

The main idea - and what is actually already done - is this: for each packaging
format there is a bundle. I have a "Package" protocol that defines what each
bundle should provide. The program initially asks each bundle if it can handle
the package ((BOOL) handlesPackageInPath: (NSString *) pkgPath) and as soon as
some bundle says yes the bundles's class is responsible to return the other
info. The info that should be return is also in the protocol and is by now
rather general: Description, Version, Name, Author, Sizes. This is so because
the information that a package can return can vary between each packaging
format.

The interface itself is made of a NSTabView that has  Information/License/List
of Files tabs.

I was thinking that maybe another tab (something like "Specific Package
Information") should be available and that would be the responsability of the
bundle to add information there. This would allow extra info that can't be
generalized to be presented nonetheless (things like Section, dependencies,
etc).

I would greatly appreciate comments, suggestions and general advices regarding
this. I am asking this before actually showing any code because this sort of
things could change the way the app is designed.

Best Regards,

Frederico Muñoz