Re: GCC Steering committee's opinion on ObjC++

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: GCC Steering committee's opinion on ObjC++
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:52:19 -0400

Michael Baehr wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:31:40 -0400, jhclouse@charter.net
> <jhclouse@charter.net> wrote:

[snip]

> > "The default configuration for GCC should not include Objective-C++; a
> > user who wants Objective-C++ should explicitly use
> > --enable-languages."
> >
> > Won't this produce a lot of "I tried to build SomeApp.app and it
> > didn't work at all" on GNUstep mailing lists when somebody builds his
> > own compiler or a clueless distro doesn't include it? Shouldn't ObjC++
> > be pushed for as a default build option?
>
> As for your first question, I think most steppers are already on top
> of the issue and this will probably not be too big of a deal; the
> GNUstep-on-Darwin folks (a hardy lot) have already been building their
> own gcc for quite some time now, and the rest of us (at least those
> that pay attention to this list) are well familiar with the gcc
> situation at this point.
>
> As for your second question, I'm guessing all that's holding Obj-C++
> back from being a default build option is its immaturity at the
> moment; yes, Apple has supported it in /their/ gcc for considerable
> time, but as a general gcc feature it is quite new.  I think it's an
> acceptable decision, and I expect it to eventually become a default
> language.

It appears the reason is that while the SC recognizes that Apple have spent
considerable time working on ObjC++, it is not something that the SC want to
maintain. A broken ObjC++ will not be considered a critical bug preventing a
new gcc release; if ObjC++ is broken by a checkin, it is not the committer's
responsibility to fix it, it is Apple's; and so on.

It seems to me that no amount of arguing will change that particular
decision.