Re: Setting the backend

From: Michael Baehr
Subject: Re: Setting the backend
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:48:42 -0500

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:00:13 +0200, Sascha Erni, .rb <rb@nggalai.com> wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
> Charles Kerr wrote:
>
>  > I did that, but am curious how to set it to use the xlib (I assme
> libgnustep-xlib), and what the differences are (why wouldn't I use xlib
> if running on X11?).
>

> Yes -- libgnustep-xlib should work. Difference is, from a user's point
> of view, mainly that art uses anti-aliasing for fonts and vector data,
> xlib does not.

This is not entirely true; at least as far as fonts are concerned, the
xlib backend /will/ render them antialiased if you set a specific
default (I forget the name of the key).

> Unfortunately, I can't run the art backend due to running
> a libfreetype version that's too young and isn't supported, yet.
> Otherwise, I'd chose art over xlib any day.

Hmm... I remember hearing about this issue a month ago and would guess
that it's fixed in current cvs by now, although my own distro (Arch
Linux) reverted to the older, working freetype so I have no way of
telling whether the libart backend has been unbroken with the newest
freetype yet.

I would suggest checking the sources out of cvs and giving them a
spin, just in case.  I might do that myself later tonight if I'm up
for it :-)

Cheers,

Mike